Texas is the second largest state in the United States. Only Alaska is larger. Texas became the 28th state on December 29, 1845. With over 20 million people, it is the second most populated state in the United States. It shares borders with Oklahoma on the north, Louisiana and Arkansas on the east, New Mexico on the west, and the country of Mexico on the south. Texas is famous for ranches, cowboys, BBQs, the space program, and its independent spirit. The state's nickname is the Lone Star State. People from Texas are called Texans. (3 pages)
What color is the Texas flag?
- It is blue, white, and red.
- It has a large white star in the blue field.
- Texas is nicknamed the Lone Star State.
- Before it became a state it was called the Republic of Texas.
What is the capital of Texas?
- The capital of Texas is Austin.
- The current Governor of Texas is Governor Rick Perry.
- Austin is in the central part of the state.