1. In 2004, about 42.6 percent of Americans were registered Democrats, 32.5 percent Republicans, and 24.8 percent independents.
2. The Republican Party is called "right" and "conservative" and the Democratic Party is called "left" and "liberal". Both parties have a strong "center".
3. The Democratic Party is represented by a donkey and the Republican Party is represented by an elephant.
4. Political factions occur within parties when there are differences of opinions over policies.
5. George Washington did not belong to a political party. He is the only president that was elected as an independent.
6. A two-party system prevents one party from gaining too much power.
7. The party that has a majority in the House of Representative or the Senate is called the "majority party" and the other party is called the "minority party".
8. The Republican Party is called the "GOP". It means Grand Old Party.