1. The Pledge of Allegiance has 31 words.
2. It was written by Francis Bellamy for the kid's magazine Youth's Companion in 1892.
3. Youth's Companion was a family magazine with a circulation around 500,000 in 1892.
4. The Pledge of Allegiance was an advertising message intended to celebrate Christopher Columbus's arrival in the Americas.
5. The original Pledge of Allegiance was shorter: I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands: one Nation indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
6. The Pledge of Allegiance has been challenged in court.