1. The Iroquois Indians had a democratic government that practiced separation of powers and majority rule. Women were allowed to participate, and they had real powers.
2. American democracy was heavily influenced by Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, and Europe.
3. Democracies have competitive elections. Candidates compete to get the most votes.
4. Some people can't vote because of citizenship status, age, mental capacity, or criminal convictions.
5. Until passage of the 23rd Amendment in 1961, residents of the District of Columbia couldn't vote for the President and Vice-President.